Unclog congested skin
Fri, 12 February 2010 12:06PM
Unfortunately for AnnaLynne McCord, it doesn’t matter how old, pretty or successful you are, you can still get pimples. When the 90210 star rocked up to a Superbowl bash in recent days, it was clear she was having problems keeping her skin, well, clear.
Skin congestion tends to rear its ugly head whenever there is an excess of dead skin cells, blackheads, whiteheads, oil, sebum, dirt and pore clogging makeup. But there are a few simple tips to help unclog your skin and banish congestion for good.
1. Good skin starts with a good cleansing routine. Cleansing your skin morning and night will help get rid of any product build-up, makeup, pollution, dirt and oil. Start by applying a damp face cloth to your face and allow the heat to open up your pores. Then apply a gentle cleanser, lather it up and rinse clean. Try Dr LeWinn’s Gentle Facial Cleanser, $34.95 or Nivea Gentle Cleansing Cream Wash, $9.98. Harsh cleansers tend to up the production of sebum in your skin, resulting in more oil and more blocked pores. Yuk.
2. Exfoliating will do wonders for your skin. It helps to unblock pores, and by removing the top layer of dead skin cells, your moisturisers will work more effectively. Winner. Look for a fine, soft exfoliating scrub because anything that is too abrasive will do more damage than good. Gentle scrubs like Trilogy Gentle Facial Exfoliant, $36 are fine to use 1-2 times a week max, especially if your skin is seriously suffering like AnnaLynne’s.
3. Avoid heavy, thick face moisturisers because they will only keep on blocking up those pesky pores of yours. Lotions are your best bet. Try Aveda Outer Peace Blemish Relief Lotion, $79.95 or Palmer’s Daily Facial Lotion, $12.99.
4. Salicylic acid is your friend, but not your best friend. Make sure you use products that contain small doses of the acid without going overboard. Using it excessively and for lengthy periods of time can leave your skin red and easily irritated. Try Garnier Pure Active Deep Pore Unclogging Wash, $10.75.
5. I know you might be sceptical, but mineral makeup will do wonders for your congested skin. Why? Mineral makeup doesn’t sink into your pores like your regular makeup. Instead, it sits on the skins surface, allowing your skin to breathe. Awesome. Get your hands on the Inika Cosmestics Mineral Starter Kit, $124.95.
6. I know you’re sick of us banging on about it, but drinking loads of water everyday will do wonders for your skin. And while you’re at it, up the ante on your exercise routine. The combination of both will help flush your system of those nasty pimple-causing toxins, which will do wonders for your skin.
Words: Cherie Herrmann. Pic: Getty.
Posted by: Cherie Herrmann